Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Uploading Videos...maybe

Jake here-

We've finally found a library that will allow us to upload video--sort of. Some of the clips are very old (the beginning of our journey) and some very new. I would have loved to edit them proplerly on this computer but can't seem to make the editing software run.

I was recently informed that our blog lacks detailes stories, so while I wait for this video to upload I'll give the people what they want.

Most of my favorite moments on this trip involve food--buffets, fast food, slow food, hot and cold food--and this one does as well. A few days ago, descending one of the many mountain ranges of Nevada, Jordan and I somehow got way ahead of Loren and Eric. Traveling downhill, buffetted by wind and rain from all sides, we were chilled to the bone. My long johns were soaked, my shoes were soaked, and my heart was soaked with self-pity. But lo-and-behold, at the bottom of the descent with our momentum slowing and the wind reducing us to a mere crawl, a beacon of hope appeared beside us. A red Honda Element materialized from the mist and pulled alongside me. The window rolled down on the passenger side and a friendly head appeared.

"You boys cold?" yelled a grey-stubbled man. On his other side I could see the driver grinning at us from the warmth of his leather seat.

"Yeah," I replied.

"Want a beer?" the man yelled back. A beer was probably the last thing on Jordan and my minds but any sort of generosity cannot be overlooked. And if a heated beverage is not to be found, what better than a little alcohol to thin the blood. I glanced at Jordan and he nodded with a smile.

"Absolutely!" I yelled. the two men pulled their quintessentially-backcountry vehicle over and stepped out. They were middle-aged, in T-shirts, and clearly having a great time with some younger outdoor enthusiasts. As one pulled a cooler from the backseat and handed us two bottles of San Francisco-brewed Steam Anchor, the other briefly related how every summer they explore Utah for a few days by car. It sounded wildly brilliant as we eyed the empty backseat of their car, our feet squelching in our shoes. They asked if we wanted to save the beers for later, but without giving us a moment to contemplate the reality of drinking cold beers in cold driving rain, they opened them for us and jumped back in the car. Thankfully, they pulled out another bottle for Eric as he rolled up behind us. Just as they were about to pull back onto the highway the window again rolled down and the driver threw us a bottle of smoked almonds. They drove away into the mist not realizing the uniquity of the situation they had just created.

We stood by the side of the road for the next twenty minutes, laughing and harrahing, relishing nuts and brew while we related the beauty of the moment. We talk about those guys every time it rains (nearly every day). Maybe they'll drive up again. But I hope they offer us a ride next time.

and the video still hasn't uploaded. There's no progress bar so I think this library must be slower than touring bikes uphill. I'll try again later.

No comments:

Post a Comment